9/13/2023: New release of condos in Nahele at Hoopili with priced from low $400's and up across 1BR to 3BR units.
9/11/2023: New release of The Bluffs at Nanaina starts today - single-family homes priced in the $1.25M - $1.5M range.
Contact Michelle Johnson (RA) today to learn how you can secure a home (808) 352-2469 or Michelle@HawaiiLiving.com.
March 2006 D.R. Horton acquired about 1,550 acres of land in East Kapolei (West Oahu) from the James Campbell Estate, which was formerly sugarcane fields. May 2015, After several years of anticipation, D.R. Horton got the Honolulu City Council’s approval for the $4.6 billion Hoopili project. September 2016 the project broke ground and the first new homes in Hoopili were completed summer 2017.
Hoopili is located east of Kapolei and north of Ewa Beach. It is considered an Ewa Beach zip code, but typically referred to as “East Kapolei”. Location is approximately defined by the boundaries of Kualakai Parkway (west), Farrington Highway (north), Old Fort Weaver & Fort Weaver Rd (east) and Ewa Villages Golf Course (south).
Hoopili is a mixed-use master-planned community in East Kapolei with a plan to create 11,750 new residential homes in Kapolei across ~1,550 acres of land over the next 20 to 30 years. The residential properties will be a combination of single-family homes, townhomes and condos with parks, playgrounds, restaurants, shops, schools, farms, gardens & more, creating a community, which over time, as the built-out of Hoopili takes shape, will resemble more of a city on its own with somewhere around 7,500 permanent jobs.
The Hoopili concept is centered around creating a vibrant, healthy and convenient community where people don’t have to get in their cars to do everything.
Snapshot of the Master Plan:
Map of Hoopili Master Plan
- Commercial activity – up to 3,000,000 sf.
- Community and recreation centers – 7 total throughout the community.
- Parks and gathering places – 70+ acres.
- Places of learning – five DOE schools including three elementary, one middle and one high school.
- Connection to rail (3 rail stops) – East Kapolei (Kroc Center), UH West O‘ahu and Ho‘opili stations.
- Connection to agriculture – 200+ acres of commercial farms and community gardens.
Market Rate & Affordable Housing New homes in Hoopili is expected to include both market rate housing and affordable / reserved housing, with about 70% allocated to market rate homes and 30% for affordable housing (low to moderate income local, Hawaii, residents). Mixed-Use Homes A unique feature of the Hoopili community is the mixed-use homes. This may allow an owner to live on the 2nd floor and run a small shop on the 1st floor or run a shop on the 1st floor and rent out the 2nd floor residential space or any other combination. This setup may offer more people the opportunity to start a business otherwise not financially possible, obviously depending on how these homes will be priced.
History of Hoopili
Jim Schuler – founder of Schuler Homes – had a vision for the Hoopili project, on a smaller scale, in the mid 1990’s and was under contract to purchase 800 acres from the Campbell Estate, but cancelled year 1996 due to a weakening economy. A few years it was revised again and cancelled for similar reasons. Year 2002 D.R. Horton acquired Schuler Homes and that meant more financial resources and the ability to purchase almost 1,600 acres from Campbell Estate for $71M, with a vision to bring the “2nd City” of Kapolei closer to the “1st City” of Honolulu. Year 2009 the developer applied for the Land Use Commission (LUC) to reclassify the land from agricultural to urban use, which came with significant opposition from various parties and in year 2014 the LUC ruled the project needed to be broken in to phases to be approved. The developer (D.R. Horton) made a lot of changes & improvements and in year 2014 the LUC approved the plans, which was appealed by opposing parties and ultimately in year 2015 the Hawaii Supreme Court ruled in favor of the developer with final zoning approvals and Hoopili could finally get underway.
DR Horton | The Developer
DR Horton has an impressive background / track record. Here are some highlights:
- Largest developer of new home by volume in the US.
- Known to incorporate a combination of great floor plans, excellent quality and energy efficiency.
- Donald R. Horton – founder of DR Horton – started the business in 1978 in the Dallas / Fort-Worth area (current location of headquarters),
- Behind a variety of brands across the US, including DR Horton America’s Builder, Emerald Homes, Freedom Homes, Regent Homes and Pacific Ridge Homes.
- Has built in excess of 500,000 homes since inception year 1978.
- Is a publicly traded company (NYSE under DHI).
- In addition to Hoopili, also behind several other projects on Oahu, such as Kahiku at Mehana (Kapolei), Manawa at Mehana (Kapolei), Olino at Mehana (Kapolei), Kawena at Mehana (Kapolei), Ka Malanai (Kailua) and Kahiwelo at Makakilo (Makakilo).
Note: D.R. Horton donated 5 acres of land to the Hawaii Humane Society (for their 2nd Oahu campus) and 1 acre of land donated to the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center (will include primary doctor care, a pharmacy, dental care & more).