If you always dreamed about living on the Hawaii Kai Marina, you have come to the right place. Here is your ultimate reference guide to all Hawaii Kai marina front condos and townhomes including videos, maps, tax records and the inside scoop.
If you prefer a detached single family home rather than a condo or townhouse, skip right to #10 on our list. Also explore our complete list of Hawaii Kai top marina front single family homes and neighborhoods or see all Hawaii Kai homes for sale. Hawaii Kai marina front single family homes tend to sell upwards from the mid $1Mill price range (as of 2016).
If money is a limiting factor, marina front condos and townhomes often are a terrific alternative for the budget minded. The following list includes all condos and townhomes that have direct marina access. Some might have a dedicated or assigned boat dock, while some others might have only a shared dock or shared marina access. But all have the magic and lifestyle options that only living on the marina can offer.
The list is organized in West-to-East geographical order. To get a quick overview, we start off each project with a couple of reference bullet points:
This briefly summarizes what makes the project unique. Listed under ‘Pros’ is what makes the project special. Listed under ‘Cons’ is what might be some potential shortcomings if any.
Pros and Cons bullet points are brief and rather subjective. The intend is to help you skim quickly through the list and zero in on what you are looking for.
A further detailed description follows the bullet points, often with a video, map and the project tax records. Each project includes a link to its respective detailed project page with more pictures, details, data and stats. Here you can also search all home listings available for sale.
We hope you find this format useful. May you greatly benefit from our resource guide to quickly become Hawaii Kai’s marina front condos and townhomes expert.
Here starts the ultimate reference guide to Hawaii Kai marina front condos and townhomes:
1.) Napua Point:
- Pros: Feels like a house, rather than a townhouse.
- On the ocean! with exceptional forever ocean and horizon views.
- Beautiful landscaping.
- Ocean access from the narrow beach in front.
- Cons: No boat docks.
- A bit close to the highway with some street noise.
Napua Point is technically not on the marina, but rather on the ocean side, next to the Kalanianaole Hwy bridge at the entrance to Hawaii Kai. In fact this project is the only Hawaii Kai townhouse project located right on the ocean with a calm narrow beach in front.
Napua Point, developed in 1980, consists of 18 attached townhomes with no neighbors above. The units are spread out over 4 different buildings and offer two different spacious 2- and 3-bedroom split level, 2-story floorplans with between 1,540 and 1,771 sq ft of living space. Each unit comes with a partially covered patio deck for truly awesome indoor / outdoor entertaining.
8 townhomes come with an enclosed double garage. The remaining townhomes come with a single garage and one extra open parking stall.
The grounds are lush and tropical and include a good size pool, hot tub and a tennis court. There are also two guest parking stalls. This project has a small beach rather than a marina rock wall. You may launch your paddle boat, or stand up paddle board, but there is no boat dock to moor a boat. The views and ambience are exceptional.
Rarely do Napua Point units become available. More details and Napua Point townhomes for sale here.
2.) Gateway Peninsula: (video)
- Pros: Some of the largest 3 and 4-bedroom marina front townhomes.
- Boat docks right outside your back patio for most units.
- Cons: Some units are a bit close to the highway with some street noise.
The Gateway Peninsula is located directly across the street from Napua Point and is the first marina front townhouse project on the left when entering Hawaii Kai. Developed in 1972 the project includes 39 two-story townhomes arranged in 6 different buildings. The street address includes 205, 207, 209, 211, 213 and 215 Kawaihae St. Project tax records are here: TMK# 1-3-9-35-16.
Gateway Peninsula townhomes are some of the largest mostly 3- and also 4-bedroom marina front townhomes with 1,632 to 2,100 sq ft of interior living space in a 2-story layout, no neighbors above. Each townhouse enjoys a private walled-in entry courtyard and back patio.
Many of the units have their boat docks immediately outside their back patio. There are a couple additional shared boat docs available for those few units that are not directly facing the marina.
Gateway Peninsula townhomes come with two covered carport parking stalls. The project features a swimming pool and beautiful landscaped grounds.
3.) Koko Head Villas:
- Pros: Some of the most affordable marina front townhomes.
- Good size for the price.
- Low maintenance fees.
- Cons: Only one parking stall per unit.
- One shared boat ramp only.
- Limited marina views.
If your budget is limited, Koko Head Villas represent some of the most affordable marina front townhomes you can find. These townhomes rarely become available for sale.
Developed in 1969 and located at the corner of Kawaihae St and Milolii Pl, the Koko Head Villas project consists of 24 attached 2- and 3-bedroom two-story townhomes with no neighbors above, arranged in 5 buildings with a kidney shape pool centered in the middle. The project tax records are here: TMK# 1-3-9-35-12.
Each unit comes with only 1 covered carport parking stall. The project has 12 additional open guest stalls.
The Koko Head Villas project (not to be confused with Koko Villas) is located at the very tip of one of the marina fingers and you won’t really get much of a marina view. Marina access is via a shared boat ramp. This is ok to launch a kayak or a SUP, but if you want to have your own private boat dock you will need to check other options on this list.
More info about Koko Head Villas for sale.
4.) Villa Marina:
- Pros: Units in building #B can moor their boat right outside their back patio.
- Cons: Parking stalls are uncovered.
The Villa Marina project consists of 19 attached 2-story townhomes with no neighbors above, spread out over 4 buildings, developed in 1970. All units include 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths with 1,452 interior living space and large fenced-in front and back patios. Each unit comes with 2 side-by-side open parking stalls.
Only the 6 units located in building #B enjoy direct marina frontage. Here you can moor your boat just outside your private back patio with a 22 ft linear marina frontage.
All other townhomes have the privilege to use a shared boat landing.
See all Villa Marina townhomes for sale.
5.) Marina Palms:
- Pros: Opportunity to moor your large boat very close to your townhome (first come first serve) along the common element marina wall.
- Beautiful magical landscaped grounds with many tropical palm trees.
- Resident manager.
- Cons: Parking stalls are uncovered.
- Per house rules, no AC units allowed.
Marina Palms is a popular marina front town house project located between Kawaihae Pl and Keokea Pl, along Kawaihae St. There are a total of 54 Marina Palms attached townhomes spread out over eight 2-story buildings developed in 1966 along the Hawaii Kai marina. The project tax records are here: TMK# 1-3-9-34-59.
26 townhomes are designed as 2-bedroom, 1-bath townhomes in a 2-story layout, with no neighbors above.
28 townhomes are designed as 3-bedroom, 2-bath townhomes in a single level design. 14 of these are located on the ground level with a patio and a large 296 sq ft fenced-in court yard. The remaining 14 units are located above, same size and layout with a lanai instead of the patio, but without the large courtyard.
Each unit comes with 2 open parking stalls.
The project features 12 boat landings as part of the common element available to residents on a first come first serve basis. With 12 boat landings throughout the project you have a pretty good chance to moor even a large boat very close to your townhome.
The Marina Palms project is known for its beautiful landscaped grounds with lots of palm trees, and an awesome marina side pool and hot tub. The buildings are arranged slightly set back from the marina creating a sense of space and tropical beauty. All units enjoy a magical serene green garden view with the marina immediately beyond.
There is a resident manager on site. The project is designed and arranged to maximize cross ventilation and natural cooling for each unit. Per house rules, AC units are not allowed!
Bring your boat and enjoy living. Check all Marina Palms townhomes for sale.
6.) Colony Marina:
- Pros: Some of the largest 4-bedroom, 3-bath marina front townhomes with >1,900 sq ft interior living space.
- 1 bedroom with adjacent 1 bath is located on the ground floor.
- Individual boat docks located right outside your back patio for most units.
- Low maintenance fees for the size of the units.
- Cons: ?
The Colony Marina project consists of 26 marina front attached townhomes developed in 1969, located between 6204 through 6252 Keokea Pl. Colony Marina townhomes are spread out over 5 buildings. Three buildings include 6 units and 2 buildings include 4 units. The project tax records are here: TMK# 1-3-9-34-52.
All townhomes are fronting the marina with the ability to moor a boat right outside your back patio, except 4 units within the first building #A being set back a bit away from the marina, located on the corner of Kawaihae St and Keokea Pl.
Each townhouse has 4 bedrooms, 3 baths with about 1,914 sq ft of interior living space in a 2-story layout with no neighbors above. Each unit also comes with a large fenced-in private entry courtyard and 2 covered carport parking stalls close by.
The project features a kidney shape pool with a generous size clubhouse, and gorgeous landscaped grounds.
Notable is the corner-end unit E106 in the last building #E. This unit is slightly larger with an impressive 2,368 sq ft interior living space including an extra half bath. This special unit also enjoys additional land on the side and an adjacent enclosed rare 4-car (!) enclosed garage.
See all Colony Marina townhomes for sale.
7.) Hawaii Kai Condo Project – aka Hale Makani Kai, Garden Lanai, Kala Kai Marina:
- Pros: Very low, or even No maintenance fee!
- Self-managed, means maximum control and minimum rules.
- Could potentially add a 2nd story addition.
- Cons: ?
The Hawaii Kai Marina Condo Project is a very unique Hawaii Kai marina front townhome project that includes 20 separate individual cluster developments of attached townhomes in a variety of different configurations, some as small as a duplex and some with up to a dozen units within a cluster.
Most realtors are not even aware and confused by the different alias names, configurations and locations of these marina front townhomes, because Hawaii Kai CP clusters are spread out over several locations and non-contiguous street addresses throughout the West Marina neighborhood.
Most of the Hawaii Kai CP townhomes were developed between 1963 and 1964, representing Hawaii Kai’s very first townhome developments, with ‘Hale Makani Kai’ being a bit later completed in 1967.
The single most attractive feature of these townhomes is the self-management of each small townhome cluster. That means the governing rules are often lax and minimal. On some of the single level townhomes you might be able to add a 2nd story addition! How is that for a value added proposition! Maintenance / association fees are either zero or minimal (other than the $400 / year annual marina fee, and Hawaii Kai’s private sewer fee at currently $114 / every two months).
Did we capture your attention yet?
Most of the Hawaii Kai CP townhomes feature 2- to 3-bedrooms with 958 sq ft to 1,570 sq ft interior living space. A few have been expanded to 4-bedroom, 3-bath townhomes with up to about 2,005 sq ft interior living space. These townhomes come in either single level, split level or 2-story layout, all with no neighbor above, together with either one parking stall or some even with a double enclosed garage.
Let’s take a closer look at these clusters:
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 4A, aka Kala Kai Marina, aka Garden Lanai #20, is located at the south eastern tip of the Milolii Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes just about all odd street numbers between 6229 Milolii Pl to 6255 Milolii Pl. These are 12 attached townhomes labeled #A through #L in a cluster arrangement of three buildings, TMK# 1-3-9-35-11. This is the only Hawaii Kai CP cluster that also includes a common swimming pool in the middle of a gorgeous maintained center lawn, hence this cluster does have a small maintenance fee. These units come with either open and or some covered carport parking.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 4B, located at the north eastern tip of the Milolii Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes 6234 and 6236, as well as all even numbers from 6240 to 6246 Milolii Pl. These are 6 townhomes labeled #A through #F in a cluster arrangement of two buildings, TMK# 1-3-9-35-10. This Hawaii Kai CP cluster does have a small maintenance fee. Each unit comes with one open and one covered carport parking stall.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 5, located along the northern street side of Milolii Pl starting from the Kawaihae St corner. The address includes 257 and 259 Kawaihae St, as well as just about all even numbers from 6206 to 6230 Milolii Pl. These are 12 attached townhomes labeled #A through #L in a cluster arrangement of 5 buildings, TMK# 1-3-9-35-9.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 8, located past the Marina Palms project along the southern street side of the Kawaihae Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes just about all odd street numbers from 6229 Kawaihae Pl to 6249 Kawaihae Pl. These are 8 attached townhomes labeled #A through #H in a cluster arrangement of 3 buildings, TMK# 1-3-9-35-6.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 9, located at the south eastern tip of the Kawaihae Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes 6255 Kawaihae Pl #A & #B. This is a duplex townhouse. Each unit comes with 1 covered and 1 open parking stall. TMK# 1-3-9-35-5.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 10, aka Garden Lanai, is located at the north eastern tip of the Kawaihae Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes all even street numbers from 6246 to 6260 Kawaihae Pl. These are 6 attached townhomes labeled #A through #F arranged in 3 marina front duplexes. TMK# 1-3-9-35-4.
Noteworthy is the duplex at 6258 / 6260 Kawaihae Pl (#A & #B), completely rebuild in 2009 from the ground up as a brand new gorgeous two story duplex with 2,883 and 2,456 sq ft respective interior living space. This duplex represents the largest and most modern marina front townhomes within all Hawaii Kai Condo Project clusters. It also demonstrates the development potential that might be attainable within this self-managed condo project.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 18, aka Kala Kai Marina, located towards the south eastern end of the Keokea Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes 6243, 6245, 6251 and 6253 Keokea Pl. This cluster consists of two marina front duplexes, labeled #A through #D. One of the duplexes is designed with a 2-story layout. The second duplex is designed with a single level layout. TMK# 1-3-9-34-57.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 19, located at the south eastern tip of the Keokea Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes 6257 & 6259 Keokea Pl (#B & #A) This cluster consists of only one single level marina front duplex. TMK# 1-3-9-34-56
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 20, aka Garden Lanai, located at the north eastern tip of the Keokea Pl cul-de-sac. The address includes all even street numbers between 6256 to 6268 Keokea Pl. This cluster consists of three duplexes labeled #A through #F. TMK# 1-3-9-34-55.
The following remaining Hawaii Kai CP clusters are all located along Kawaihae St either in a duplex, 4-plex, 6-plex, 8-plex or even a 9-plex building. These townhomes are all split level in design and just about all come with 2 covered parking stalls (except, #16, Hale Makani Kai townhomes come with either 1 or 2 stalls). The following Hawaii Kai CP townhomes have no association fees (except, #16 Hale Makani Kai has a small association fee):
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 1A, located along Kawaihae St. just past the Colony Marina project. The street address includes all odd street numbers between 325 to 331 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 4-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #D and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-34-51.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 1B, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 335 to 341 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 4-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #D and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-34-50.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 2A, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 345 to 351 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 4-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #D and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-34-49.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 2B, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 355 to 361 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 4-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #D and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-34-48.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 3A, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 367 to 377 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 6-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #F and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-34-47.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 4, located just past Awini Pl. along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 401 to 407 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 4-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #D and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-34-2.
- Hale Makani Kai, formerly known as Hawaii Kai CP lot 5, located at the most northern point of Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 421 to 435 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of an unusual 9-plex (!) building because of the slightly odd shape lot. Each townhouse is labeled #101 through #109 and comes with either 1 or 2 parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-34-1.
Check here if there are currently any Hale Makani Kai townhomes for sale.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 6, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 441 to 451 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 6-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #F and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-30-53.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 7A, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 459 to 469 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 6-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #F and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-30-52.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 8A, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 475 to 489 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 8-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #H and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-30-51.
- Hawaii Kai CP lot 9A, located along Kawaihae St. including all odd street numbers between 493 to 499 Kawaihae St. This cluster consists of a split level 4-plex. Each townhouse is labeled #A through #D and comes with 2 covered parking stalls, TMK# 1-3-9-30-50.
Be quick and decisive as these townhomes sell quickly. Check here to search all Hawaii Kai CP townhomes for sale. Nowhere else can you live the marina lifestyle without often inflated association or maintenance fees.
8.) Moorings: (video)
- Pros: Opportunity to moor your boat very close to your townhome back patio.
- Beautiful magical landscaped grounds with many tropical palm trees.
- Cons: Parking stalls are uncovered.
The Moorings project consists of 64 marina front townhomes developed in 1969 located on an exclusive peninsula surrounded by the marina on three sides. The address is 6370 Hawaii Kai Dr. The townhomes are numbered #1 through #64 and arranged throughout 9 separate buildings. The project tax records are here: TMK# 1-3-9-29-76.
54 of all 64 townhomes are facing directly the marina with the ability to moor a boat just outside your back patio.
Each townhouse has 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths with between 1,332 and 1,517 sq ft of interior living space in a 2-story layout with no neighbors above. Each unit also comes with a large walled-in private entry courtyard, a back patio facing the marina and 2 open parking stalls close by.
There is a central oval shape pool with a good size clubhouse and gorgeous landscaped grounds.
See all Moorings townhomes for sale.
9.) Kuapa Isle: (video)
- Pros: Opportunity for most units to moor your boat just outside your waterfront patio.
- Large pool, clubhouse and basketball court.
- Two covered parking stalls right in front of your townhouse.
- Cons: ?
The Kuapa Isle project includes a total of 234 townhomes and is considered one of the largest Hawaii Kai marina front townhome projects. Kuapa Isle was developed in 1970 and spreads out over two elongated parallel running peninsula fingers accessible from Hawaii Kai Dr. The address includes all street numbers on Opihikao Pl and Opihikao Way. See the project tax records here: TMK# 1-3-9-31-2.
Kuapa Isle townhomes come in duplex configurations either with 3 or 4 bedrooms in a single level or 2-story layout with no neighbors above. Kuapa Isle townhomes range between 1,164 and 1,557 sq ft interior living space and feature a marina front patio or deck with the ability to moor your boat right outside your living room.
The units that are not directly on the marina have a fenced-in yard or patio instead.
Each Kuapa Isle townhome comes with 2 covered carport parking stalls immediately next to the townhouse front entrance.
For the townhomes that are not directly on the marina, the project includes a couple of community boat docks and a boat parking area.
A large pool, clubhouse, basketball court and adequate visitor parking make Kuapa Isle a favorite for marina front townhome enthusiasts to enjoy.
Check here to see all Kuapa Isle townhomes for sale.
10.) Kai Nui Court:
- Pros: Gated small community of modern detached marina front CPR homes.
- Rare newer 2002 construction.
- Cons: Marina front location is a bit close to the busy bridge.
Kai Nui Court stands out as being different from all other marina front projects in several ways.
What makes the project special is a.) the secured entry gate, b.) the newness – built in 2002, c.) the size of the project – only 11 homes, and d.) the detached design of the homes. These are actually detached single family homes in a small CPR development. Each home has a small private yard on all sides, not just in the front or back.
Only 4 of the 11 homes are on the marina enjoying direct marina access, making these extremely rare offerings. The remaining 7 homes not immediately on the marina do not have marina access.
The Kai Nui Court project, together with the Peninsula at Hawaii Kai project, represent the very last and final marina front development. There simply is no remaining marina front land to develop.
Kai Nui Court homes include 3 to 5 bedrooms with between 1,377 to 2,495 sq ft interior living space in a 2 story layout. Design features include vaulted cathedral ceilings, stucco exterior, concrete tile roofs, attached enclosed double garage and a private fully fenced-in yard on all sides.
If you prefer the newer modern look and the benefit of a security gate, check out Kainui Court CPR homes for sale. Remember all other projects – except Peninsula at Hawaii Kai – have been developed decades ago.
11.) Koko Isle: (video)
- Pros: Opportunity to moor your boat very close to your townhome back patio.
- Beautiful magical landscaped grounds with sprawling lawns and many tropical palm trees.
- Two covered parking stalls right in front of your townhouse.
- Cons: ?
The Koko Isle project has one unique distinction compared to all other projects: It feels like living on a private island, because it actually is a private island!
Surrounded on all sides by the Hawaii Kai marina, Koko Isle residents enjoy arguably one of the finest marina front locations. The project is located in the center of the widest section of the entire marina taking delight in the greatest distance from any neighboring developments. Koko Isle is accessible only by way of crossing over the private Koko Isle bridge.
Koko Isle was developed in 1968 and might have represented the central ‘cherry in the middle of the cake’ for Henry Kaiser, the great visionary developer, when his ‘little Venice’ marina community turned into realty.
Koko Isle consists of 124 attached townhomes spread out over 23 buildings. More than 2/3rds of all Koko Isle townhomes are directly facing the marina. These townhomes enjoy the ability to moor a boat just outside your back patio deck.
The remaining interior Koko Isle townhomes not directly facing the marina enjoy a beautiful landscaped view and still have the ability to possibly moor a boat although not directly outside your living room back patio.
One of my personal favorite location within the project is the area of south-west facing marina front townhomes with the large grassy green belt between the townhomes and the marina’s edge captured in this brief video starting @ 26 sec. Truly magical, this is a particularly peaceful and quiet setting within the project, protected from Tradewinds with wide open views across the marina.
Koko Isle townhomes are 2-story in layout, no neighbors above, and include 2 to 4 bedrooms with a back patio or deck, a fully fenced front courtyard and a covered 2 car carport next to your private entry door.
The Koko Isle project features a large pool with a 2-story clubhouse, exercise room, BBQ grills, a shared boat landing area, a sauna and gorgeous landscaped sprawling lawns with lots of palm trees.
Search all Koko Isle townhomes for sale and experience Koko Isle’s magic for yourself.
12.) Kalele Kai: (video)
- Pros: Gated community with additional secured building entrance.
- Solid concrete construction.
- Generous size single-level layout with wide hallways and elevator access.
- 9 ft ceiling height throughout.
- Huge wrap-around lanais.
- Onsite resident manager and roaming security.
- Cons: Condo living with neighbors above (most units).
The Kalele Kai project is a gated marina front community developed in 1993 with a total of 229 large 2- and 3-bedroom units. The project is both modern and grand compared to many of the other Hawaii Kai marina front projects. The general feel is that of a gated tropical resort, but surprisingly quiet and very residential. Once you enter the project through the secured entry gate you are greeted by a large open courtyard surrounded by three main 6-story condo tower buildings plus an additional 3-story marina front townhome building straight ahead along the water’s edge.
The vast majority, 219 of all units are located within the three main buildings. Let’s explore these in detail:
Building #1 the largest building of all runs perpendicular to the water’s edge along the western perimeter of the project. It includes 6-stories with up to 18 single level condos per floor.
Building #2 runs parallel to Keahole St along the northern perimeter of the project. It includes 6-stories with up to 13 single level condos per floor.
Building #3 runs perpendicular to the water’s edge along the eastern perimeter of the project. It includes 6-stories with up to 13 single level condos per floor.
Kalele Kai condo unit numbering in these three buildings goes as follows: 1st digit indicates the building number, 2nd digit indicates the floor level number and the last 2 digits indicate the stack within the building. E.g. Kalele Kai #3613 means the unit is in building #3 on the 6th floor in the -13 stack location.
All Kalele Kai condos feature awesome 9ft ceilings, huge wrap-around lanais, a spacious layout in a single-level design, plenty storage and two covered parking stalls
All 6th floor penthouse level condos enjoy the additional benefits of an extra-large roof overhang providing additional shade on the lanai, extra tall vaulted cathedral ceilings and being on the top level with no neighbors above.
About a dozen of outward facing condos right above the garage level in building #1 and building #3 enjoy larger than regular lanais.
The majority of Kalele Kai condos include 2 bedrooms, 2 baths with at least 1,421 sq ft interior living space and an additional minimum 263 sq ft lanai area. These are some of the largest 2-bedroom single level condos available in Hawaii Kai.
2-bedroom Kalele Kai condos are either facing a.) towards the pretty green landscaped interior court yard including the large impressive free form heated pool, hot tub and clubhouse, or b.) towards the exterior of the project.
Among the units that are facing the exterior of the project these are the views in order of desirability:
1.) Building #3 enjoys arguably the nicest views overlooking the low-rise Mawaena Kai townhomes and grounds with plenty marina views beyond.
2.) Building #1 enjoys some decent marina views but you will need to be either towards the marina end of the building or above the 4th floor to clear the roofline of the neighboring Safeway grocery store.
3.) Building #2 will offer a pleasant mountain view instead of the marina view. These units tend to sell at a slight discount because of the busy Keahole St below.
3-bedroom Kalele Kai condos are located only at the corner-end of the buildings enjoying better cross ventilation. These 3-bedroom condos feel like a house all on one level with at least 1,998 sq ft interior living space and an additional minimum 589 sq ft wrap-around lanai.
‘The Townhomes’ are located in the building that runs parallel to the water’s edge. There are only 10-attached townhomes in a 3-story layout with no neighbors above. The townhomes are numbered 1001 through 1010. These most desirable units feel and live like a marina front house with 2,205 to 2,345 sq ft interior living space, large wrap around decks and an enclosed double garage. Especially the larger end units take the cake. Kalele Kai townhomes face directly towards the marina.
-The Kalele Kai project features a large heated free form pool, hot tub, clubhouse, BBQ grills, beautiful grounds, marina front walking paths and a Gazebo. There is also a resident manager, roaming security, the secure gated entry to the project and to each building. There is a pedestrian gate on the west side of the project for a direct shortcut to the adjacent Safeway grocery store.
Some Kalele Kai units come with a deeded boat dock, some others do not.
Search all Kalele Kai condos and townhomes for sale.
13.) Mawaena Kai: (video)
- Pros: Gated community.
- All units are facing the marina with great marina views beyond a beautiful green belt along the marina front.
- Cons: 2-story layout with neighbors above.
- Limited number of boat docks
- 2nd parking stall is uncovered.
The Mawaena Kai townhouse project is a gated marina front community developed in 1988 including a total of 104 townhomes spread out over eleven 2-story buildings along the marina. The Mawaena Kai project address is 7007 Hawaii Kai Drive. The project tax records are here: TMK# 1-3-9-8-31.
All units are facing the marina and enjoy the beautiful green belt view between the back patio or deck and the marina.
All Mawaena Kai townhomes include either 2 bedrooms, 2 baths or 3 bedrooms, 2 baths with between 1,012 sq ft and 1,406 sq ft of interior living space plus an additional outdoor patio for the ground floor units or a marina facing lanai for the upstairs units.
While all ground floor units are single level in layout with neighbors living above, the upstairs units feature an additional second story loft space utilizing some of the high cubic interior living space under the pitched roof. Overall the upstairs units have a more spacious feel due to the tall vaulted cathedral ceilings. But you will need to walk up the stairs to get to your unit.
The ground floor units instead have an open back patio that leads right over the gorgeous sprawling green lawn to the water’s edge.
Some Mawaena Kai units come with a deeded boat dock, some others do not. Each townhome comes with one covered carport parking stall with some storage capability for surfboards etc. above your car, plus one open parking stall close by.
The Mawaena Kai project does not come with a pool, hot tub, club house or any other fancy amenities. Project residents appreciate the security gate and the views. A resident manager is on site.
Search all Mawaena Kai townhomes for sale.
14.) Peninsula at Hawaii Kai: (video)
- Pros: Gated, modern and new (2002 – 2005) master planned community.
- Modern design features available in a large variety of condo, townhouse and even single family home layouts.
- Great amenities and beautiful grounds.
- Cons: Limited number of boat docs, currently a waitlist for a boat slip.
The Peninsula at Hawaii Kai is by far the largest Hawaii Kai marina front project. The project includes a whopping 662 total living units. It is also the newest and most modern project developed between 2002 and 2005. The project consists of two sections:
Parcel I (A) Makai. This is the larger of the two, and is secured with an automatic entry gate on both Lunalilo Home Rd and also on Wailua St. All 569 living units within this gated section share a common 520 Lunalilo Home Rd project address. See the project tax records here: TMK# 1-3-9-8-16.
Parcel II (B) Mauka. This is the smaller of the two located north of parcel I, across Wailua St and accessible from both Wailua St and Lunalilo Home Rd without entry gate. All 93 living units within this section share a common 580 Lunalilo Home Rd project address. Project tax records for this parcel are here: TMK# 1-3-9-8-36.
The Peninsula at Hawaii Kai project is unique in offering a wide variety of different housing options including single family homes, townhomes and three groupings of two 4-story condo building towers with elevators.
These are the five distinctively different housing products with a variety of different layouts and floor plans available within the Peninsula at Hawaii Kai:
1.) Executive Residences (ER)
2.) Carriage Ways (CW)
3.) The Cottages (CO)
4.) The Villas (V)
5.) The Colony
We have written extensively describing each of these housing products on our Peninsula at Hawaii Kai page.
Only the Executive Residences (ER), a few of The Cottages (CO) and a few of the Villas (V) are located directly on the marina.
The project offers great security, a large variety of housing options, modern amenities including 24h gym, 2 large heated pools, 2 hot tubs, BBQ grills, club house, gorgeous sprawling lawns, a playground for kids, Gazebos and an awesome marina front promenade walking path.
Regretfully the number of available boat docks is limited. If you desire to sign up for a boat slip you need to content with a current waiting list. Otherwise the project is hugely popular and a fabulous place to live.
15.) Kaimala Marina: (video)
- Pros: Many open boat docks available for residents, to be assigned by manager.
- Cons: Parking stalls are uncovered.
The Kaimala Marina project was developed in 1972 and includes a total of 90 townhomes spread out over 9 separate buildings. The general feel of the project is charming and casual island style, much reminiscent of old-style Hawaii living. The project construction incorporates wooden trellises and other wooden design elements.
Only 3 buildings, #1 through #3, are located directly along the marina and offer spectacular marina views.
These 3 most desirable marina front buildings within the project are 3-stories in height. Units located on the ground floor have a single-level layout with neighbors living above, featuring a large marina front partially covered patio / yard. The units on the second floor are 2-story in design with no neighbors above. These 2 story units have two marina front lanais and impressive marina and sunset views.
The three marina front buildings include a mix of different floor plans including 1-bedroom units on the ground floor with 697 sq ft interior living space (units #111, #118, #211, #218, #311 & #318). The majority of units here are 2- and 3-bedroom townhomes with between 1,267 sq ft and 1,281 sq ft interior living space, plus large patio decks or upstairs lanais. There are however a few upstairs 2-story units that have 4 and even very rare 5 bedrooms (!) with as much as 1,555 sq ft interior living space plus partially covered patio decks and lanais (units #120, #129, #220, #229, #320 & #329).
The remaining 6 buildings are set back from the marina and do not have the benefit of the marina views. The townhomes in these remaining buildings are 3-bedroom townhomes (some created a 4th bedroom) with between 1,282 sq ft and 1,323 sq ft interor living space in a 2-story layout with no neighbors above. Each townhome comes with fenced-in partially covered patio and upstairs lanais.
All townhomes, even the 1-bedroom units, come with 2-uncovered assigned parking stalls close to the townhome entrance.
Kaimala Marina townhomes are numbered based on which building the unit is located in. E.g unit #329 is located in building #3 (on the marina), on the 2nd floor in the –9 stack of that building. Unit #908 is in building #9 (not on the marina) in the –08 stack of that building.
The project features a pool, hot tub, clubhouse, resident manager, roaming security and beautiful tropical landscaping with casual secret walking paths meandering between the buildings.
What makes the Kaimala Marina project special is that there are plenty boat docks available for you to moor your boat. Just let the manager know and a dock will be assigned for your use. Also available is kayak and SUP storage.
Search all Kaimala Marina townhomes for sale.
- Pros: Amenities galore.
- Many open boat docks available for residents, to be assigned by manager.
- Classy building with grand porte-cochere entrance, gorgeous grounds and landscaping.
- Fabulous expansive marina views and even impressive ocean views from the higher floors.
- Cons: High-rise condo living with neighbors above.
The Esplanade set an impressive new standard in marina front living when it was developed in 1973. The Esplanade includes a total of 208 condos spread out over 4 high-rise buildings with elevators.
The Esplanade being up to 8-stories tall represents the only true high-rise condo located directly on the Hawaii Kai Marina. The Kalele Kai project being only 4-stories tall is considered the distant second. If you like to live high above on the water’s edge, the Esplanade condo project is for you.
The Esplanade was designed to impress with a grand entrance porte-cochere and a multitude of resort style amenities (video), including a huge pool, hot tub, gym, tennis courts, putting green, driving range, BBQ grills, 24h roaming security, gorgeous sprawling tropical grounds and a fabulous marina front promenade walking path.
The vast majority, 135 Esplanade condos are 2-bedroom, 2-bath condos with 1,083 sq ft of interior living space and large lanais. Some of these units have enclosed their lanai space and increased the interior size up to 1,227 sq ft.
Also available are 51x 1-bedroom condos with 762 sq ft to 931 sq ft of interior living space. All Esplanade condos are single-level in layout in a high-rise condo building with neighbors living above, except on the penthouse level.
All 22 Esplanade penthouse condos on the top floor are 3-bedroom, 3-bath condos with 1,657 sq ft featuring multiple large lanais. Some of these units have enclosed lanai space to increase the interior living area up to 1,862 sq ft. Esplanade penthouse condos feature soaring cathedral ceilings and a 2-story layout with no neighbors above.
All 22 penthouse 3-bedroom condos are located within the front-row buildings #1 and #2.
It goes without saying the Esplanade penthouse condos take the cake when it comes to design layout, size and simply mesmerizing marina, ocean and sunset views.
Esplanade condos are numbered based on which building the condo is located in. E.g unit #47F is located in building #4 on the 7th floor in the “F” stack of that building.
The two largest buildings within the Esplanade condo project, building #1 and #2 are running parallel and closest along the marina. These are not only the tallest buildings but also the longest buildings and include by far the largest number of all Esplanade condos offering the most stunning marina views. Both of these two high-rise buildings are single-loaded aka single-stack in design, means all unit lanais are facing in the same direction towards the alluring marina. A common open walkway runs along the other side of the building where you would access your condo front door from the elevator landing. This type of single-loaded (vs double-loaded) building design promotes excellent cross ventilation and orients all condos in the same most ideal direction to enjoy priceless views of the marina and ocean beyond.
The Esplanade project clearly stands out because of the unique wide open views from the higher floors and the many awesome amenities and stunning grounds.
Let’s also remember, boat docks are plentiful at the Esplanade and so is kayak and SUP storage. Request the manager to assign a convenient boat slip and or storage for you.
Search all Esplanade condos for sale.
What are you waiting for? Start living, you deserve it.
If you prefer a marina front single family home instead of a condo or townhome, check our guide: Hawaii Kai’s top marina front homes and neighborhoods.
Perhaps we inspired you to explore marina front living further. Let us know what you think. We like to hear from you, and we are always here to help. ~ Mahalo & Aloha